Thursday, November 18, 2004

Cataloging your Book Collection

A number of years ago, I asked a friend if she knew of any library program that would allow you to punch in the ISBN and it would add a book to your database. I was interested again, because it has been a couple of years now that I have updated my database on the laptop and we have accumulated at least a couple hundred books since then. However, the old laptop is no longer portable - battery dead - so I would need to upgrade the program.

Well, they are here! Anyway, for real computers (Apple Macs), the program is called Booxter - I guess you are supposed to pronounce it Book - ster. It uses your iSight camera to scan in the ISBN - or you can type it in. It then goes out and searches the internet - LOC, etc. and returns with a complete description, etc. and enters it into your database, which is printable.

http://www.deepprose.com/

There is also one that I found for PCs, called BookCat:

http://www.fnprg.com/bookcat/bookcat.html

The functionality is close to the Mac version, but you have to type in the ISBN, I did not see the ability to scan.

No comments: